ATTENTION TO ALL WORKSITES AND STUDENTS
STUDENT APPLICATIONS NOW AVAILABLE ONLINE
Upcoming schedule for Y@W:
January 2nd Youth employment applications and Worksite RFP's available
January 20th Martin Luther King Jr. Day (Y@W closed)
February 17-21 Winter Recess (Y@W closed)
Youth@Work is a public-private partnership between the City of New Haven, the New Haven Board of Education, Workforce Alliance, the Greater New Haven Chamber of Commerce and Empower New Haven. The program provides summer and year-round employment opportunities, workplace exposure and work readiness activities to youth who may be challenged by socio-economic and/or academic barriers to workplace success. The program targets in-school youth, ages 14-21, who are New Haven residents and/or attend New Haven public schools. Youth@Work is also a part of the Mayor's Youth Initiative, aimed at providing young people workplace exposure, mentoring and school and community-based enrichment activities.
Early work experiences serve as the foundation for future success in the workplace and have proven effective in helping youth to:
- Establish connections with employers
- Encourage responsibility and foster independence
- Develop technical skills
- Develop communication/interpersonal skills
- Clarify work values and future work preferences
- Allows for interaction with caring adults
Summer 2014 Work-Based Learning Experience for Youth Program
1) Non-profit or Public Sector Organizations
2) Private Sector Businesses
- We are seeking businesses to offer summer internship opportunities and part-time work experiences for pre-screened high school students. For more information, please contact Tomi Veale at 203-946-8583.
3) For Students
- Applicants must meet the 3 basic requirements to apply:
- Live in New Haven or attend a New Haven Public School
- Be between the ages of 14-21
- Must be in grades 9 or higher at time of submission of application
- The application deadline is Friday, April 4, 2014. Only completed applications will be accepted.
- Applications must be turned in by the applicant only.
¬†For general information on Youth@Work, please contact the office at 203 946-7582 or YaW3@newhavenct.net
Click here for the Youth Department site.