Welcome to the New Haven Tax Collector's Office
Return To City Homepage Menu is below
  • InfoNewHaven
  • Return Home

  • Search Our Site
    transparent image for spacing

    Tax Collector

    If your vehicle is not where you parked it or it has been booted

    Seized or Booted Vehicles by the Tax Collector

    If you do not find your vehicle where you parked it, it is possible that the Tax Collector may have seized it. If a registered owner does not redeem a seized vehicle, the Tax Collector or Marshal may sell the vehicle to satisfy the outstanding debt due the City..

    If the Tax Collector seized your vehicle or it has been booted, go to the Office of the Tax Collector located at 165 Church Street, New Haven between the hours of 9 am and 5 pm Monday through Friday to resolve the outstanding taxes and pay any outstanding obligations to the City of New Haven including and not limited to parking tickets. Payment must be made in cash, money order, or certified or cashier's check, made payable to the "Tax Collector, City of New Haven." WE DO NOT ACCEPT CREDIT CARDS.  You must have the Vehicle Release form when you go to redeem your vehicle. This form is issued by the Tax Collector and is not valid without the raised seal of the Tax Collector.
    The total amount that you will be required to pay is computed as follows:


    a. Amount due for Tax and Parking Debt on tickets

    $ ______


    b. Tow Fee due tow company

    $  81.00


    c. Execution Fee due Tax Collector

    $  6.00



    $ ______



    $ ______


    f. Total Due (Add [a] to [e])
    ** - Storage fee = First day is free $20/day after 24 hours and  increases to $24 a day after 4 days.

    $ ______


    Frequently asked Questions

    How do I redeem my vehicle if I'm uninsured?

    If you are uninsured, you must present a current insurance card to redeem your vehicle at Office of the Tax Collector.

    How can I redeem my vehicle for misuse of plates?
    If you have a misuse of plates, the plates will be removed from the vehicle and returned to DMV. If the vehicle was not registered and you registered the vehicle the same day that you want to redeem your vehicle you may be subject to back taxes and or the current tax due on the plates that are on the vehicle.

    How can I remove personal property from my car?
    You can request a property release from the Office of the Tax Collector for personal property, such as prescription eye glasses, prescription medication, wallet or baby car seat. However, tires, radios, batteries, and other parts of the vehicle are not considered to be personal property and may not be removed from a given vehicle. If a vehicle belongs to a firm or business, proof of employment must also be presented.

    What identification and documentation must I have to redeem my vehicle?
    You must bring the following:

    • Your valid Driver's License (or someone else who has one),
    • The vehicle's valid Insurance Card; and
    • Vehicle Release form (for both Taxes and Tickets)


    Click To Return To City's Home
    Pilot Pen Tennis Tournament
    Construction of Pedestrian Walkway
    Yale Underpass
    Footer For City Site
    Residents | Visitors | Business | Online Services | Q&A | Guide to New Haven | Government | Forms Central | Calendars | Emergency Info
    Any comments/suggestions E-mail the Webmaster for the City of New Haven or contact the Mayor's Office, 165 Church Street, New Haven CT 06510, Telephone 203-946-8200.
    New Haven City Seal