DESTEFANO TESTIFIES BEFORE APPROPRIATIONS IN HARTFORD, ASKS STATE TO HOLD MUNICIPALITIES HARMLESS FROM CUTS
(3/2/2010) MAYOR DESTEFANO TESTIFIES BEFORE APPROPRIATIONS IN HARTFORD, ASKS STATE TO HOLD MUNICIPALITIES HARMLESS FROM CUTS
NEW HAVEN- A day after releasing New Haven’s innovative FY2010-2011 proposed budget, Mayor John DeStefano, Jr. testified before the Connecticut Legislature’s Appropriations Committee in Hartford today. DeStefano asked the State to preserve funding to municipalities and not implement cuts in the 2011-2012 biennium budget.
“In the 2010 session, do no damage,” said DeStefano. “Hold municipalities harmless from cuts. In New Haven we are receiving $6.7 million less than in FY2009. Failure to do so will only degrade core investments making recovery all the more delayed. Failure to do so will only result in a shell game of further property tax increases.”
For the 2011-2012 Biennium DeStefano asked that the State explore the following:
• A comprehensive plan of State development identifying transportation corridors where economic growth is to be concentrated;
• A narrow focus on a robust set of investments in three key areas: transportation, education and health care supports for small business;
• An overhaul of the state’s business tax code that results in a broad based, low rate value added tax on business net receipts and drastic revision of the crazy quilt of tax credits;
• A reset of the state local tax structure that provides more revenue options for municipalities along with the ability to levy and share these revenues regionally; and
• Revision to public employee laws enabling the implementation of alternative healthcare and pension supports for new public employees.
DeStefano’s City budget accounts for a $5.5 million decrease in State Aid in the Governor’s budget but includes an aggressive plan to cut costs and increase revenue in New Haven.The FY2010-2011 budget protects the City’s priorities around School Change, public safety and growth in the area of jobs and the tax base.
DeStefano will be touring New Haven in a series of three Community Budget Briefings beginning Wednesday, March 3, to involve residents and community leaders in the budget process. The following is the tour schedule:
• Wednesday, March 3 at 5: 30 p.m. in Aldermanic Chambers
• Wednesday, March 10 at 6:30 p.m. at Edgewood School
• Tuesday, March 23 at 6:30 p.m. at Nathan Hale School
Contact Name: Jessica Mayorga
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone: 203-946-7660