FANS DON'T LET FANS DRIVE DRUNK
(1/29/2009) (NEW HAVEN)-- The New Haven Police Department will be joining forces with the National Football League (NFL), the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and other State and local highway safety and law enforcement officials to remind everyone to act responsibly this Super Bowl weekend.
Super Bowl Sunday is one of the nation’s biggest and most entertaining national sporting events as friends and families gather to socialize and watch the big game. Yet, it has also become one of the Nation’s most dangerous days on the roadways due to impaired driving.
In 2007, fatalities in alcohol-impaired-driving crashes accounted for 32 percent of all motor vehicle traffic fatalities. On Super Bowl Sunday (12:01 a.m. Sunday to 5:59 a.m. Monday), 48 percent of the fatalities occurred in crashes where a driver or motorcycle rider had a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level of .08 or higher.
Also on this weekend, many college students will be returning to schools in the New Haven area. Those who will be traveling to bars, restaurants, and nightclubs in the city should be aware that there will be increased enforcement of motor vehicle and drunk driving laws. Over 360 drivers were arrested for impaired driving in New Haven last year.
Remember these simple tips for your safety:
• Designate a sober driver before the party begins and give that person your keys.
• Avoid drinking too much alcohol too fast.
• Ask a sober friend for a ride home.
• Never let a friend leave if you think they are about to drive while impaired.
• Always buckle up – it’s still your best defense against other impaired drivers.
Beginning Friday, January 30th, the New Haven Police will deploy additional patrols and set up sobriety checkpoints to catch drunk drivers. Checkpoints may be in place at the following locations:
• Whalley Ave. between Fitch and Boulevard
• Legion Ave. between Boulevard and Orchard
• College St. between Chapel and South Frontage
• State St. between Ferry and East
Contact Name: Jessica Mayorga
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Phone: 203-946-7660