EVEN SIDE PARKING RESTRICTIONS EXTENDED THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING
(2/13/2013) (New Haven, CT) Last night the City of New Haven imposed a parking restriction for the portion of the City east of the Boulevard and west of the Quinnipiac River (the shaded area in the attached map). The restriction required that all residents in the designated area park on the even side of the street from 6 PM Wednesday until 6 AM Thursday.
This was done to allow crews the workspace to remove more snow in order to widen the travelable portion of streets. Any cars that parked on the odd side of the street overnight were towed. However, most residents complied with the parking restrictions and only 44 cars had to be towed.
The parking restrictions and corresponding tow and plow operations were scheduled to be repeated one more time, overnight on Thursday. However, because the operation worked so well and in order to widen more streets, the even side parking restrictions will be extended for two more nights, both Thursday and Friday.
The parking restrictions are necessary in the portion of the City east of the Boulevard and west of the Quinnipiac River as this section of the City is older, with narrower streets and limited off-street parking options.
Daytime operations will clear the areas west of the Boulevard and the areas east of the Quinnipiac River, the un-shaded portions of the City on the attached map. These areas have wider streets and more off street parking options. If residents remove their cars from the street, we do not anticipate having to tow in these areas.
Below, is detailed information on the nighttime parking restrictions and corresponding tow and plow operation.
WHAT: Tow and plow operation for cars that are parked on the odd side of the street. RESIDENTS ARE TO PARK ON THE EVEN SIDE OF THE STREET
WHERE: All streets East of the Boulevard and West of the Quinnipiac River. (shaded area on the attached map)
WHEN: Two MORE Nights
• NIGHT 1: Thursday from 6 pm to Friday at 6 am
• NIGHT 2: Friday from 6 pm to Saturday at 6 am
WHY: To plow more snow from the streets and remove the massive piles of plowed snow from the streets. These operations will significantly widen streets for two-way vehicular travel and make neighborhoods and downtown safer for pedestrians.
IMPORTANT TO NOTE:
• PARK ON THE EVEN SIDE OF THE STREET if you live on any of the streets listed under “Where”.
• Cars that are parked on the odd side of the streets listed above will be subject to tagging and towing.
• This operation will run overnight for the next two nights as listed above under “When”.
• We will hit as many streets as possible during these operations, but want to be realistic: we might not hit every street.
• Areas of the City not listed above (under “Where”) will be cleared during the DAY on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. These areas have many off-street parking options and we are asking residents to park in their driveways. If residents remove their cars from the street, a towing operation will not required for these areas
Please Click "Download Document" Below for the Map