NEW HAVEN FIRE CHIEF AND FIRE MARSHAL WARN RESIDNENTS ABOUT COOKING RELATED FIRES
(2/19/2010) Local Fire Chief Michael Grant and Fire Marshal Joseph Cappucci announced concern for New Haven citizens over the recent cooking related fires and injuries in the city.
In an effort to reduce the number of cooking related fires and injuries, the following tips should be observed:
1. Avoid loose sleeves and sweaters while cooking over the stove. Excess materials can catch fire.
2. Stay in the kitchen while you are cooking.
3. Keep pot holders, oven mitts and pot lids handy.
4. If the food catches fire, smother the flames with the pot lid and turn off the burner.
5. If your oven catches fire, shut the oven off and keep the door closed.
6. Keep matches and lighters away from children.
7. Avoid using extension cords
8. Check cords to all appliances for fraying or breaks regularly
9. Have a fire extinguisher available in your kitchen
10. Test your smoke detectors once a month
11. In the event of a fire or other emergency, do not hesitate to call 911, and once you are out of the building, do not go back in.
12. Do not attempt to calm a grease fire using water.
Practicing these basic fire prevention tips can save money, property and lives. Please cook safely.
Contact Name: Jessica Mayorga
Contact Email: email@example.com
Contact Phone: 203-946-7660