Commission on Disabilities
The goal of the Commission on Disabilities is to improve the quality of life for the entire community by embracing the contribution of its citizens with disabilities.
The Commission focuses on issues related to accessibility, housing, transportation, education and public awareness.
The Commission participates in numerous community initiatives including:
- Support for legislative initiatives that promote equality and accessibility for people with disabilities
- Advocating for increased accessibility and enforcement in city/state building codes
- Advocating for enforcement of Disability Parking and a systematic method for retrieval/renewal of Permits
The Commission invites speakers from both the public and private sector to discuss on topics of concern to the disability community. Recent speakers include:
Scooping & Hooping, On Wheels
- Economic Development Administrator, Economic Development for the City of New Haven
- Connecticut State Building Inspector, State of Connecticut
- Chief of Police, City of New Haven
- Department Director of School Construction, New Haven Board of Education of the City of New Haven
- Superintendant of Schools, City of New Haven Department of Education
- Commissioner, Housing Authority of New Haven
- Operations Manager, Greater New Haven Transit District
- Commissioner, Department of Motor Vehicles
Note: We encourage any member of the public to join us at our meetings which are held every second Monday of the month. If you wish to leave a message for the Commission on Disabilities you can do so by contacting the Department of Disability Services by phone (203) 946-7833; TTY/TDD (203) 946-8582 or via fax at (203) 946-8587.
Commission on Disabilities Meeting Schedules
All meetings unless otherwise notified will be held on the 2nd Monday every month from 5:15 to 7:00. The meetings will be held in the 4th floor conference room in the Office of the Corporation Counsel at City Hall, 165 Church Street, New Haven. Meetings are open to the public. Click on the links below to read the minutes of the meetings
Meeting Schedule for 2013
Meeting Schedule for 2012
Meeting Schedule for 2011
Meeting Schedule for 2010
Meeting Schedule for 2009
Meeting Schedule for 2008
Meeting Schedule for 2007
Meeting Schedule for 2006
* Meeting is not scheduled on its usual date because of a conflict with a religious or legal holiday.