Welcome to New Haven Office of the Assessor's
Return To City Homepage Menu is below
  • InfoNewHaven
  • Return Home

  • Search Our Site
    transparent image for spacing

    Assessor's Office
    Alex Pullen
    Alex Pullen
    Acting City Assessor
    165 Church St.
    New Haven, CT 06510
    Phone: (203) 946-4800
    Fax: (203) 946-7122


    The Mill Rate for the 2015 Grand List is 41.55

    The Assessor's primary duty is to prepare the annual list of taxable and exempt property (Grand List). The two Grand List components are Real Property and Personal Property.

    The Real Property category includes houses, garages, barns, sheds, commercial buildings, etc.

    The Personal Property category includes motor vehicles, commercial furniture, computers, manufacturing machinery, etc.

    The Assessor's primary objective is that each property owner bears his or her appropriate share of the tax burden.


    Motor Vehicles Registered Out-of-Town or Out-of-State and Unregistered Motor Vehicles

    Motor Vehicle Brochure

    New Residents; Changes of Address

    Any resident, individual or corporation, moving from one Connecticut municipality to another municipality has 48 hours to notify the DMV of their change of address for purposes of motor vehicle registration.

    Anyone moving into Connecticut from out of state has sixty days to notify DMV of their new Connecticut address for purposes of vehicle registration.

    Any owner (individual or corporation) of tangible personal property, including unregistered motor vehicles or vehicles registered in a state other than Connecticut, who is a non-resident or temporary resident, and whose property is located in any Connecticut municipality for three months or more prior to October 1, must file a declaration of such property with the Assessor or Assessment Dept of the municipality in which the property is located. The declaration must include current mailing address; said owners must notify the Assessor of any change in address.

    Vehicles registered in a Connecticut municipality other than the municipality of residence of the owner

    Generally, Connecticut registered vehicles are assessed and taxed to the municipality in which the owner (individual or corporate) of the vehicle resides. An exception may be a company-owned vehicle which, during the normal course of operation, most frequently leaves from and arrives to, or remains, in the municipality in which the employee assigned the vehicle resides. Also, per CGS 12-71 (f) (2), Connecticut registered vehicles which, during the normal course of operation, most frequently leave from and arrive to, or remain, in a municipality other than the municipality of residence of the owner, may be assessed in the municipality in which the vehicles most frequently leave from and arrive to, or remain.

    Parking Permits

    Individuals with vehicles registered out of state or in another Connecticut municipality, and wishing to obtain Parking Permits, must register with the New Haven Tax Collector and declare the vehicle with the New Haven Assessor prior to obtaining Parking Permit.

    Click To Return To City's Home
    Yale University Art Gallery
    Open Day (4/26/10) of Metropolitan Business Academy
    Yale Underpass
    Footer For City Site
    Residents | Visitors | Business | Online Services | Q&A | Guide to New Haven | Government | Forms Central | Calendars | Emergency Info
    Any comments/suggestions E-mail the Webmaster for the City of New Haven or contact the Mayor's Office, 165 Church Street, New Haven CT 06510, Telephone 203-946-8200.
    New Haven City Seal