The Department of Arts, Culture and Tourism seeks proposals with conceptual ideas from individual artists/artist teams, not-for-profit arts organizations and for-profit creative entrepreneurs/start-up enterprises with missions related to the arts and the creative industries, to occupy and utilize empty retail space in imaginative and innovative ways. The pilot program encourages collaboration between artists, property owners, the New Haven Economic Development Corporation and the City of New Haven.
New Haven's goals for the project are:
- To create visitor destinations in formerly empty spaces in order to derive new consumers into underutilized areas, increasing foot
traffic and business to not only these spaces but neighboring ones as well.
- To raise awareness of New Haven's different commercial districts and help promote underutilized spaces to potential long-term tenants which can eventually create jobs and increase the tax base.
- To grow interest in and awareness of the arts and expand people's understanding and appreciation of creative endeavors
- To encourage creativity to blossom and grow in New Haven
- To enliven New Haven neighborhoods by expanding commercial activity, making the City more attractive to potential residents, businesses, students and other artists
- To facilitate artistic, creative and/or entrepreneurial businesses.
- To enhance New Haven's reputation as Connecticut's Creative Capital.
Download the Call for Artists or for more information contact Elinor Slomba, Program Manager at (203) 812-9093 or Kim Futrell at (203) 946-7172.
Project Storefronts Upcoming Events
Project Storefronts in the News
Click here to read more.
Presented by the Department of Arts, Culture & Tourism and the Office of Economic Development.
Events and activities made possible with support from